February is National Pet Dental Health Month!
An often-overlooked aspect of your pet’s health, dental care is fundamental to keeping your furry friend happy and healthy. One of the most common complaints we hear is bad breath. Generally, oral disease is the main culprit of receiving stinky kisses from our BFFs.
Your veterinarian should check your pet’s gums and teeth at least once a year. If you notice bad breath, broken or loose teeth, abnormal chewing, drooling, reduced appetite, pain on or around the mouth, bleeding, or swelling in the areas around the mouth, take your pet to the veterinarian immediately.
As humans, dogs and cats can develop cavities, periodontal disease, infections, and more, that can eventually impact their hearts, kidneys, and lungs. It starts with plaque forming around their gums and hardens into tartar if not treated.
Not surprisingly, prevention is the best way to avoid expensive bills at the vet, and the most recommended practice is to brush your pet’s teeth. Daily is ideal, but a few times a week can help immensely.
Many products in the market exist to aid with dental care. Here are some of the ones we carry at the store:
What products can aid your pet’s dental health?
1. Dental treats. Brands like RedBarn Chew-A-Bull and Whimzees have different dental treats made of potato flour and healthy ingredients like parsley, alfalfa, paprika. Their ridges and grooves help to fight plaque and tartar and come in different sizes to meet your dog’s bites.
Additionally, sticks like TropiClean Enticers (in chicken, bacon or peanut butter flavor) or Bocce’s Bakery Brushy Sticks or Bites, with coconut and mint.
For cats, Emerald Pet or Inclover treats in 3oz bags are a great option as a daily treat.
2. Toothpaste and cleaning kits. Finger brushes are an easy way to clean your dog’s teeth. Not all dogs like to be brushed so don’t forget to reward them with pets or a play session after! Two great options are Tropiclean’s silicone finger brushes, and Pure and Natural Pet brushes, with dental-grade nylon bristles and bamboo handles, in two sizes.
3. Gels. TropiClean Enticers gels are an easy way to clean your pet’s teeth if they are set against brushing. Applying a pearl-size drop on each side of their mouth daily and withholding water and food for 30 minutes before and after will help to break down plaque and tartar. They come in different flavors for dogs and cats
4. Dental wipes. TropiClean’s wipes have soft fibers, providing a gentle clean. The surface of each wipe is textured to simulate brushing. Wrap the wipe around your fingertip and scrub both sides of your pet’s mouth for clean teeth and a healthy mouth
5. Water supplements. TropiClean Fresh Breath Dental Health Solution for dogs and cats, help fighting tartar by simply drinking from their water bowl.
Regardless of what products do you want to use to take care of your dog and cat’s dental health, stop by our store this month and enjoy discounts in our favorite dental products!